Once an investor obtains the EB-5 investor visa, the investor becomes eligible to reside anywhere in the United States.
As long as their investment is made through the Regional Centers, EB-5 investors and their family do not have to live near the new business location, although the other requirements, such as the minimum investment amount, the number of jobs created and the area in which the business is established, have that be fulfilled anyway.
In possession of the Green Card, conditional or otherwise, the investor becomes entitled to some of the same rights and obligations as of a permanent resident in the United States.
Rights of permanent United States residents:
- Possibility to live and work anywhere in the USA;
- Fully protected by local, state and federal US laws;
- Access to a world-class educational system;
- Access to world-class healthcare;
- Possibility to travel outside the US (with proper authorization and documentation, and with stipulated return period);
- Option to obtain US citizenship after a certain time;
Obligations of permanent United States residents:
- Pay the applicable state taxes;
- Pay the applicable federal taxes;
- Men between 18 and 25 must register with the Military Selection Service;
- Good moral character;
- Physical presence requirements in American territory;
The issue that requires more attention from the investor is usually tied to taxation, since some countries will not have a tax-treaty with the United States, and therefore the investor has to take the necessary precautions.
The double taxation is a delicate matter, that can bring some discomfort when it comes to moving from one country to another, but with due assistance and guidance, there is nothing to fear.