Following the upheavals in the immigration landscape, aspirants are concerned about the constantly changing guidelines & procedures when planning to permanently relocate to the U.S.
Searching on the web or web directories for an immigration attorney for the EB-5 visa application can be a daunting and overwhelming task given the seemingly infinite ads posted by immigration attorneys.
Does an investor need an immigration attorney to submit an I-526 petition?
It is highly recommended that an investor obtain legal services for their immigration petition submission. The documentation needed for the I-526 petition package is extensive, and an experienced immigration attorney can provide valuable assistance with the petition, consular interview, and visa processing.
Following the approval of the I-526 application, the investor’s attorney files for an adjustment of status, if the investor is already in the U.S. or on an immigrant visa should they be living outside the country
Why choosing an immigration attorney for the EB-5 process is an important decision
An attorney will represent your best interests, guiding you through the process of obtaining legal status in the U.S. or even help win a deportation case, making the choice of attorney an important decision.
As such, it is critical for an EB-5 investor not only to schedule and meet with different immigration attorneys before they decide to hire their services, but that they also ask the following questions (and compare the various answers received):
- Who will personally handle my case, you or a junior attorney/paralegal?
- What is your experience with the EB-5 program in general and the I-526 and I-829 petitions in particular?
- How long does it take to process and finish immigration cases similar to mine?
- How long have you practiced as an attorney with respect to immigration as a field? Ensure you check their educational background and practice license.
- Do you bill legal fees at a fixed or hourly rate? Do you have an estimate of what the typical total cost for search work is, including legal and filing fees?
- What plan will you implement, step-by-step, to ensure we succeed in my particular immigration case?
- Are you an AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) member? Check the platform to confirm membership.
- Should I have a question about my case, how do I get in touch with you? Will the attorney give the investor their personal email address?
- Have you previously worked on a matter similar to mine? If so, what was the outcome?
- Identify any roadblocks or obstacles to the case. Do we have a contingency plan should my immigration case be denied?
- Do you have any client references, case decisions or approvals that you can provide me?
Overall, the most affordable and trustworthy attorney that the EB-5 investor is most confident with will win their immigration case.